Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Clerkship update: Psychiatry

The memories now grow dim, and I must act quickly..

PSYCHIATRY

After Dermatology, it was time to go to the loony bin of Psychiatry. The "psych ward" in UST-CD was actually called the Community Center. It was classified as Semi-Pay, so we didn't really have to do anything regarding actual patient care, and were just involved with the interviewing of new patients, the daily progress notes, and the discharge papers. The stay there was basically unremarkable, the most memorable thing there was the fact that I was able to get at least 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep during duty nights. =) It could've been more, but we had an arrangement with our friends at Neuro that we would go out and monitor their patients from 8 or 9pm up to 12mn so that they could get some much-needed shut-eye.

Life at the CC was pretty dull. We were cooped up all day at the Clerks room, which was locked to prevent the crazies roaming outside from getting in. It would've been a totally benign rotation had it not been for the Resident's night, wherein we were expecdted to help out. I won't dwell on this because my memories of the preparations are mainly of being really really tired and worn out.. But the residents' night itself was a real blast, and I had a huge kick out of watching my past, present, and soon-to-be residents perform onstage.

I also remember (with a grain of salt) that I was the most toxic clerk during Psych because of the endless paperwork I had to do.. It seemed as though I had a Midas touch of sorts, as every one of the patients I handled at the CC were discharged during my time.. It was at that point that I discovered how much easier life could be if only I had my own laptop that I could use..

Whoops, have to go! I'll follow up later with Neurology..

No comments:

Post a Comment