Wednesday, September 16, 2009

BrainiaxMD's Onion Soup

Tried something classier this time around. :P No picture though, 'coz I forgot to buy batteries for the camera.

Ever since I tasted French Onion Soup at some Italian (huh?) resto in Rob Galleria, it got me thinking that, "hey, I could do that!". I forgot this impulse after a while, but it came back to me recently and I looked up recipes online for my little experiement.

It tasted great, but lacked the mozerrella cheese and the croutons since I was on a budget and we didn't have the luxury of an oven. Still, I guess it was ok. Not bad for an amateur chef wannabe.  :P Here is the humble recipe which I have devised after drawing from the different ideas available on the web:

4 medium-sized onions, sliced thinly
approx 2 tbsp butter
4 cups water
2 pcs Knorr beef cubes (wala akong mahanap na beef stock eh :P)
1/2 cup white wine
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Let onions fry in butter for around 5 minutes until they become soft and translucent. In a separate pot, dissolve the broth cubes in water and put in the flour while the water is not yet hot so that the flour dissolves evenly. When the onions are done, transfer them to the pot and place all the other ingredients as well. Let boil for around 15 mins under low to medium heat and voila! Fancy-ass resto-quality soup! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment