Friday, June 18, 2010

Shoot-em-up



I just came from the "old school", having been given the opportunity to pick up the basketball again and just shoot at will. I was in no shape to run the floor so I politely declined when my friends asked me to join them. I was content to just hold the ball in my hands and squeeze in a few shots while the players were at the other end of the floor.

The TV commentators say that one way to get a shooter going is to get him to the line and make free throws, as the psychological edge of seeing your shots go in would presumably help them get back in rhythm. I guess that can apply to anyone else who has ever picked up a basketball. Whether its at practice or at an actual game situation, seeing your shots go in gives one a momentary high (ok, so maybe I'm exaggerating here, but it does feel good, right?). Despite not having touched a basketball for about a year, my free throws still fall for me, and I was able to make a pair of threes as well. :P

I went there not only for the hoops, but also to be in the company of friends and batchmates. Iba pa din yung kasama mong lumaki eh.. In the midst of our conversation, Jonas told me that "Pag nandito ka sa Xavier, makakalimutan mo lahat ng problema sa asawa, girlfriend, trabaho, etc. Talagang basketball lang.." (or something like that) You know what, I'm inclined to believe him. When you're there, you just PLAY, without a care in the world.. For those brief hours of release, the worries of the world do not bother you, as you immerse yourself in the purity of the sport..

Two statements ring true here today:

1) Basketball is Brotherhood

AND

2) There's no place like HOME

:D

1 comment: