Monday, August 3, 2015

Being Grateful

Downtime is such a prized resource, even moreso when duty at the Emergency Room.

I'm niow starting my fifth month of fellowship. While it hasn't been all fun and games, everything seems to be going well. :)

I wanted to take this time out to reflect on stuff that I really did not have the time for these past months since I was still adjusting to the new demands of the training program..

Looking back at where I came from in order to get to where I am now, I can't help but be grateful for having been trained at my mother institution for the following reasons:

- it made me tougher and more confident on managing patients on my own, which came in really handy when I was handling service patients as a fellow.

- it taught me how to be REALLY patient with certain kinds of people, especially patient's relatives.

- it taught me an entire truckload of clinical skills/procedures that I would otherwise not have developed as a resident in a private institution.

- it taught me to perfect my mastery of the vernacular so that I would be able to explain better to patients and relatives, and be understood fully and clearly.

- it allowed me to develop some semblance of leadership with which I could use to get things done in certain situations where cooperation is needed.

- it taught me to play nice and get along with the other services, no matter how annoying they were. Referrals are still referrals.

- it taught me to be a good junior, and a firm but fair senior.

- it taught me how to decide quickly and decisively in certain clinical situations in order to minimize the loss of life.

It taught me a lot about responsibilty and being accountable for one's actions.

- lastly, it taught me that diplomacy and politics, though as repugnant as it may seem sometimes, is necessary in order to protect the interests of your people.

Wow, that was a long list.. I'm actually quite surprised with how it turned out, since it just seemed to flow spontaneously from my mind.

That should be enough for the moment. I think I hear activity outside.. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment