Saturday, March 10, 2007

Brainiax, M.D. -> Revalidated

Whew! That went well..

I'm sorry for the rather long hiatus from the blogging scene. My life has been pretty hectic these past few months. Don't worry, I intend to "make kwento" those other rotations that I've yet to blog about. But for now, this is my only concern...

I've just passed the dreaded Revalida, the nightmare of every UST Medical Clerk on the brink of graduation.. Nobody said it was gonna be easy, and especially not for our group.. Let me break it down for you to make it easier to understand..

The Revalida is the "be-all" and "end-all" of the examinations that a UST medical student takes during his/her clerkship. It is basically the final examination that we have to hurdle before we earn our precious medical degree. (in other words, the right to attach "MD" to our names)

It comes in two separate steps, the written, and the orals. The written revalida is a COMPREHENSIVE examination with a scope encompassing the entirety of our first three years of medical schooling. A lot of basic questions are thrown in, along with clinical correlations to make sure that you're able to apply what you've learned to at least some basic degree. Passing this examination earns you an exemption from the first part of the oral examinations, the BASICS.

The Oral Revalida is divided into two exercises; the BASICS, and the CLINICALS & EMERGENCIES. With the basics, you can be asked anything under the sun from the basic disciplines of medicine, like anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, and the rest. Whereas the CLINCALS tests your skills as a basic physician wherein you have to examine an actual patient, come up with your own diagnosis and management plan, and discuss/defend your answers. The EMERGENCIES immediately follows the CLINICALS, and this I have grouped them together. For this part, you draw three eergency cases and select one for thorough discussion. The element of luck is very important in the clinicals, as the clinical cases you get to see and the emergencies are drawn purely by chance.

The Revalidas are conducted by groups of three faculty members (each of which is called a tribunal, or "tribe"). The matching of tribes to students is also by random drawing. As our luck would have it, me and my "tribemates" (Nats and Raissa) got a consultant that has been feared throughout the history of the revalida.. Needless to say, a lot of tears were shed in Sapang Palay that fateful day when the tribes were drawn. Suddenly, there was this giant weight upon my shoulders, and there was this constant fear of failing the Revalida.

For the benefit of the other non-UST Med people out there, failing the revalida means that: 1) you won't be able to attend the graduation of your batch, 2) you have to do 3-4 months more extra hospital time, 3) you have to take yet another revalida in order to finish, and 4) you have to pay tuition for that extra time.

My heart bleeds for all our batchmates who didn't make it... :(

I don't want to seem like I'm bragging about my experience, so I'll just leave things as is for the meantime, as respect to those who have yet to take their revalida...

Thank you Lord, for being there when I really needed you....

Basta ikaw...

No comments:

Post a Comment