Saturday, March 17, 2007

Pediatrics OPD, and back to Fabella..

It's the last day of our Pedia OPD rotation. Tomorrow, our group (8) will plunge headlong to our final clerkship rotation, Pediatrics Ward, which is divided into 6 separate posts, namely: Fabella, 316, 318, 320/324, 322, and Nursery, each taking up 5 days. I'll elaborate on this later when I eventually finish clerkship (man, it feels so good to say things with such certainty!) :D.

I'll give a brief rundown on Pedia OPD. The OPD rotation is divided into 3 posts: ER, Sick-Baby Clinic (SBC), and Well-Baby Clinic (WBC). I first rotated through the ER. 8 days of sliding duty, oh man.. As expected, it was really tiring, having to go on duty every other day. But it wasn't as bad as Medicine ER. Complaints were the typical fever, diarrhea, vomiting, or ciugh and colds. Management was quite simple, and we hardly ever admitted any patients. :) I also liked the ER post coz it gave us time to study for the revalida. I was fortunate enough to be ER before the revalida. Swerte-swertehan na lang talaga yung mga posts. But the ER peeps passed din naman eh, so its no biggie. After duty hours, you went to the PICU to attend PICU rounds (a new development by the Pedia department as far as I know). Then you'd have to go back to the SBC OPD to help out until 12nn, where you get to go home. :D Oh yeah, that's one thing I really like about Pedia, they have FROM status (which means that if you are from duty, you don't have to stay as long as the pre-duty people. May distinction kumbaga).

Next up was the Sick-Baby Clinic. It was pretty tiring, coz there were just so many pedia patients coming in for consult! But I guess it was ok, since we got sundays off and saturdays were half day. =D It is one of the most dreaded OPDs to rotate in 'coz of the stories that they have remained open even until 9pm because no cut-off was implemented. Fortunately, that never happened during my time. =D It was in the midst of the Sick-Baby rotation when I had my revalida.. which turned out well in the end. =)

Last up was the Well-Baby Clinic. The WBC was located on the 2nd floor of the OPD, where it shares the corridor with Derma, Medicine, and Neuro/Psych. Patients there came in mostly for their scheduled immunizations. That is also where the Neurodevelopmental clinic is located. I had the "privilege" of being decked with a new neurodev patient, and I was in awe of the way the clinic was conducted..

I'll follow up at another date with the Pedia Ward stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment