Friday, January 2, 2009

Sands of Time

In a previous post (click here), I lamented the rapid decline of the science fiction genre from bookshelves. After having read the most recent (and final) addition to my Star Wars: Republic Commando collection, I thought that my sci-fi reading days were over.

As fate would have it, I chanced upon a copy of Dune: House Atreides on sale in Greenhills. I had been eyeing the Dune series for some time but due to prohibitive prices, I was reluctant to risk what little cash I had on a bunch of books I might not like. I fisrt heard about Dune way back in grade school when Westwood games came out with what is probably considered the great-granddad of real-time startegy games - Dune 2: the Building of a Dynasty. It was a solid game with a then-novel concept of real-time combat. It also had what seemed to me was an engaging storyline, pitting 3 houses wth different charcters (noble, insidious, and evil) against each other. However, I was then ignorant of the fact that it was based on a highly popular epic story, touted by some as the sci-fi equivalent of "The Lord of the Rings". As I got older, I noted the appearance of these Dune novels on bookstore shelves and discovered that it had quite a cult following as well.

Now that the opportunity had presented itself, I snapped up the book and immersed myself in the Dune universe, and it didn't disappoint.. I now have no doubt as to why the original Dune merited such high praise. The universe that Frank Herbert created is just so vast, with an intricate web of storylines and subplots that boggles the mind. The story draws upon events than span across milennia, and stretches the imagination to its limits. After putting down the book, I knew I wanted more.. I just hope that despite the dwindling stocks, I may be able to complete yet another collection of excellent science fiction lore.

No comments:

Post a Comment