Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Watchful Waiting

It rained today.. First time in quite a while.. Kinda like this blog entry, hehe.

Seeing as I often tend to start my posts with a commentary on how long it has been in between blog entries, I shall put that aside and just jump into the thick of things.

The diplomate examination has come and gone, and I now find myself nervously waiting for the results of the test (which is slated to come out tomorrow according to the information pamphlet we were provided at the venue). However, I have decided to wait it out for tonight in the hopes of getting an early lead on the news, whatever the outcome may be..

 This "watchful waiting" reminds me of my two previous licensure examinations, for Medical Technologists and Physicians. The wait for the MD boards was obviously the more nerve-wracking of the two, considering the relative difficulty of the latter and what was at stake as compared to the former.

Taking the MT boards was never really a necessity for me since I was already in Medical School at the time, studying to become a doctor. However, I felt that I couldn't just let all those years go to waste. It is true that I chose Medical Technology as my pre-med course, but I guess I wanted it to be more than that.. I spent my years in college learning the finer points of diagnostic laboratory medicine at one of the finer institutions of higher learning to offer that course. The least I could do was to see everything through full-circle to do justice to all the effort my professors exerted in teaching me, as well as my own attempts to make sense of all the information I supposedly learned in school. :)

I've been keeping busy the past few days with the very un-academic task of clearing out (yet again) my old room which strangely becomes a storage area  whenever I turn my back for a few months without sleeping in it. :P I can't believe how much junk we've accumulated in a few short years.. :l Part of the fun of clearing a room is rediscovering old forgotten stuff and the satisfaction of tossing some of them out since they were old/useless/really dirty/broken/rotting away and just taking up space anyway.

I also had to clean out my closet and am now wondering what the hell do I do with all those blazers I had made through all those years in residency (not to mention my failed attempt at Neurology which involved an entirely different set.)

--------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of hoopla has been generated by the forthcoming fight between two of the top draws of professional boxing, namely Pacquiao and Mayweather. I admit that I used to be a fan of MP when he was just a straight-up fighter winning bout after bout against notable boxers like Dela Hoya and Marquez (who I still consider a cowardly counterpuncher to this day). All that changed when he dicided to stick his nose where it didn't belong and inserted himself into the PBA as a PLAYING COACH! The nerve of the guy! I mean, fine, he may have the strength and stamina to keep up with the rest of the guys since he is an athlete after all, but his "forced" entry into the PBA (getting drafted in the FIRST ROUND pa kamo!) made a travesty of the league I had grown up watching and admiring. The thing that sickens me is that he was only able yo enter the PBA because 1) he's so goddamn popular and 2) he's so filthy rich that he can make the league do what he wants, even to accomodate hime just because he "knows" how to play basketball (Pacman knows?)

It's such a shame.. When I was a kid growing up, I saw the PBA as a league where the best of the best played. Being the unathletic bum that I was, I knew I had absolutely no chance of getting in, since it was all about strength, speed, stamina, talent etc.., Thus, I had a ton of respect for people who played in the league, because not everyone would be good enough to get in. Fast forward it to today, and Pacquiao has set a bad precedent by showing the masses who idolize him so much that if you have enough money, fame, or influnce like he does, a little problem like lack of actual basketball talent is not an impediment to playing in the PBA, nor is a lack of any real knowledge of professional coaching a detriment to being named as a coach for a professional team.Corollary to that, shame on KIA for pulling such a publicity stunt! You have tainted the sport forever. I hope you're happy.. :( Oh, and I'm never buying any of your vehicles when the time comes that I will have the money to buy my own..

Yeah, I know, it turned into a rant again.. I'm just so pissed at what the PBA has become.. I used to enjoy the league so much.. Back when the only foreign-sounding names you would hear would be the surname of a commentator (that's you Quinito) or the coaches, and you would only get foreigners during the other Cups. The All-Filipino was my personal favorite, as I found it more exciting. Yeah sure, the imports turned stuff up a notch, but it cheapened the game since most of the offense became railroaded through them for obvious reasons..

-----------------------------------------------------------

The UAAP Womens Volletball Finals is in full swing, with Ateneo taking the first win over an injuy-riddled Lasalle squad. This is unfortunate since the Lady Eagles, having swept the Eliminations automatically hold a one game advantage over LaSalle in what the analysts have defined as "something like a Best of Five series where Ateneo is automatically up 1-0".

In short, Ateneo only has to win two games to claim the title, while LaSalle has to win three.

I have began following UAAP Volleyball ever since "little sister" came into out lives as brother's significant other. ;) We were eventually hooked and continued watching even beyond her playing years. :P

LaSalle is now looking at a 0-1 deficit and are playing without their star spiker Ara Galang who was injured in the final set of a do-or-die match against NU for a chance to play in the finals against ADMU. The injury (ACL, MCL, Meniscal tear) sidelines Galang for the remainder of the season, making this series apparently lopsided due to the obvious loss of firepower on the side of the Lady Archers.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Wow, this was a long one. Hehe. ;) Hopefully I'll be online again in a few hours with some (hopefully positive) news

No comments:

Post a Comment