Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Jacko tribute


It has been roughly two weeks since the whole world was stunned by the news that Michael Jackson, the undisputed King of Pop, had passed away. 

I have to admit that I was never really a die-hard MJ fan. Sure, I listened to his music and found a lot of them to be really good, but I never really bothered to go out of my way to purchase any of his albums (since I didn't really spend much money on music anyway, and I became a serious audiophile only recently). Come to think of it, maybe I was a bit of a fan, but I never really admitted it. :P Riding along with all the "MJ memories" that seemed to dominate the airwaves, I decided to listen to a playlist of pure MJ tracks as a way of paying my respects, because I DID grow up listening to his stuff in the background, and couldn't imagine how music those days could have been without him.


Now that I'm older (and wiser =P), I was able to appreciate his music a whole lot more. For the first time ever, the man struck me as a musical genius! I mean, the songs just really take you away, and he's got these really crazy-ass dancing skills to boot (as seen in his MTVs). He truly was a master entertainer... :D  Its such a pity that he had an unhappy childhood. The combination of being thrust into the pressures of the limelight at such a tender age, along with the stress of having such a harsh father, is a recipe for a psychiatric disaster later on in life..

I'm no Michael Jackson expert or die-hard fan, and thus am in no position to seriously critique or praise him for what he has done for the entirety of his stellar career. All I know is that he made beautiful music that defined and inspired a generation, but continuously struggled with his inner demons which may have indirectly led to his untimely demise at the relatively young age of 50..


I put this entry down with a slight tinge of regret, as I never truly appreciated what he has done for the world of music until it was too late..
Farewell Moonwalker, you will truly be missed..

*Got the cool animated graphic above from a forum paying tribute to the King of Pop. Sorry, forgot the site..

No comments:

Post a Comment