Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Simplified

While I was in the CR, I was suddenly struck by the calm and quiet of midday (since it was brownout, the distant rumbling of air conditioners in other buildings were absent). I looked out the window and chanced upon a forklift going about it's business shifting stuff around on the vacant lot where a factory once stood (demolition was done a few months ago). I then imagined the forklift driver, having a rather simple job (although entailing much skill) doing stuff of very little serious consequence. After work, he'd go home to rest up and spend time with his faily. Sure, he wouldn't earn that much, but he could probably get by if he spent his money wisely..

I'm suddenly on a "simplicity kick" a day after I bought a pair of long-sleeved shirts (on sale! 50%!) for use during pre-residency (and hopefully residency as well). When I got home, I took stock of the clothes I was using on a regular basis. I was most struck by my footwear. Apparently, I had been getting by with using only 4 pairs:

- A pair of slippers for home use and short trips (ie. to the supermarket, etc)
- A pair of adidas trainers I had bought on sale which served as my all-around casual/gym shoes
- A pair of black leather shoes which I wear to work (incidentally, I had bought these for residency last year :P)
- A pair of aging black suede shoes which have seen better days that I now only use during select "fancy" occasions

Thankfully, none of the four were swept away or damaged by the flooding, so I need not buy new ones. (although I was alarmed when I noticed that the sole of the trainers were starting to show wear and tear..) I'm not really much of a shoe person. In fact, I don't really recall having more than 5 or 6 pairs active at any given time. Still, it was a bit of an awakening to see my shoes lined up like that and realizing that a person COULD live simply if he/she really wanted to. As my dad always reminds me, its all about adjusting your wants and living within your means. This basically entails making sure your basic needs are met while tuning down your lifestyle to something sustainable within your given income bracket.

People have to adapt to their situations, and must learn to make the most of things. Otherwise, he/she would end up miserable because the wants are not met while at the same time the needs are neglected in favor of the former.

I guess the main questions that need to be asked here are: "What do you feel is important to YOU?" and "What do you think SHOULD be given importance?". Depending on the person, the answers to these very similar questions may vary widely..

I'm not one to give a lecture on how one should manage his/her money, but I can say that happiness is not defined by how much money one has or whatever he/she spends it on. It's about those intangibles that make up the human experience like faith, family, friends, and love, things that money truly cannot buy..

No comments:

Post a Comment