Friday, October 2, 2009

Weather You Like It Or Not


* the following entries were written using a pencil and a sheaf of scratch papers serendipitously found in the glove compartment while stuck amidst horrendous traffic at the height of the wrath of Tropical Storm "Ondoy"

Commonwealth Avenue 9/26/09  1:00 PM


I'm permanently stuck in non-moving traffic headed towards the QC circle amidst what appears to be the worst storm to ever hit the Metro in recent memory... I actually found myself thinking "Man, where the hell did all this water come from???". I was supposed to meet up with my girlfriend today, for what would probably be our last date before pre-residency. Apparently, the heavens had other things in mind...

Before I left the house, it was already raining heavily, but having driven under similar conditions before, I had no idea that it would be this bad. After dropping off mom and bro at the hospital for checkup, I settled myself down for the long trip ahead, and what a long trip it turned out indeed! :P

When I made my way along EDSA, I began to notice that something was amiss.. The very idea that EDSA could be flooded HEAVILY was beyond my imagination (since I don't really drive around much anyway), until now..

Having narrowly escaped being trapped along Highway 54, I began to wonder how I would get home while I neared the QC circle via Quezon Avenue. Traveling along Commonwealth, it was really raining buckets already, with visibility reduced to about 4-5 car-lengths ahead. As I neared the Fairview branch of Wilcon Depot, the traffic slowed to a crawl, and as luck would have it, I found myself close to a u-turn slot. After much waiting, debate, and hesitation, I decided to turn back, aided by the advice of a local resident that the road ahead had been rendered unpassable due to waist-deep flood waters.

After making the U-turn to head back, I proceeded cautiously, knowing fully that I wouldn't be able to go home anyway since it's reportedly flooded there already. What surprised me was a text I got from my uncle saying that it was already flooding INSIDE the house and that it was already knee-high!! 😨


Oh well, the important thing is that everyone close to me is safe and sound. As of this writing, I'm in front of the UP-Ayala Technopark nearing the QC circle and I've been on the road for about 4 hours... Luckily there was a lady vendor going around selling baked goods (I though she sold buchi because she handed me a soft yellow rounded goodie covered in sesame seeds which turned out to be some kind of bread) so bought a pair and I didn't have any food problems.

Good thing I was able to bring along the plastic cylindrical case of my shades, so I had an improvised wee-bag as well.. hehehehe! 😜

I'm trying my best to make light of the situation since being a worry wart never did anybody any good, and besides, it looks like I'm gonna be here for quite a while... Will rest first, and I'll try to make another entry while there's still daylight.. (1:49 PM)

Entry #2 3:30 PM - still haven't moved an Inch..

Whew! That was fun! A short while ago, I decided to leave the car for a while to buy provisions to last me the night, because although I still have another piece of bread to serve as dinner, the fact remained that I had absolutely nothing to drink (wee-wee is out of the question! 😅). Not wanting to compromise my very healthy urine output, I knew I had to do something..

After informing dad of my little plan, I said a little prayer and left the car to head to the nearby Petron station for my supplies. I had luckily brought along both an umbrella and a jacket before I left the house so getting wet was never really an issue.


While braving the downpour, I was suddenly concerned whether they still had anything in stock, since we motorists have been stuck here for quite some time now. On arrival, I noted only a handful of C2 bottles on the shelves. Luckily they still had considerable stocks of purified drinking water, so I hurriedly grabbed a pair of 500ml bottles for my own. They didn't have much food left, so I had to content myself with a pair of small Goya chocolate bars.

Just as I was finishing the above paragraph, the cars in front began to move, but about 50 meters later, things are at a standstill once again.. 😅

Anyway, as I made my way back to the car with my precious cargo on hand, I had the misfortune of half-stepping into a shallow puddle and I got my feet wet. 😐


So, prior to the aforementioned disturbance, I had already been preparing to hunker down for a most memorable night since I felt that I had all the provisions I needed for an overnight stay...

Safe Haven 4:50 PM - Petron Commonwealth near Philcoa


Woohoo!! I'm finally off the road and am now sitting pretty here at the Petron station just after the Technopark. I was really lucky to be able to have squeezed in here as I had already missed the entrance but was able to back up because the cars to my rear refused to move forward, leaving a clear path for me to enter this oasis.. (Thank you Lord! 😇)


Now I can kick off my shoes indefinitely and hang up my poor little socks up to dry. 😛 I guess the main reason why I managed to remain this cheerful in spite of everything is because I have already resigned myself to spending the night in the car. 😅

Mmm... the Goya chocolate bar is really delicious, or maybe it's just because I'm really hungry.. 😅 I'll save the other one, along with the "buchi-bread", for later. It's getting dark, and I better set up camp before nightfall.. 😐 (I wonder when I'll be able to blog all of this?...)

4 comments:

  1. So you slept at the gas station? Good for you. It would have been worse on the road. And at least you were prepared with food and water. I wouldn't have thought of that myself. I would have been stubborn to get home. Di mo kasi iisipin na magiging ganun kagrabe yung situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really chinks, siguro paidlip-idlip lang kasi i started for home at around 9:15pm (see next blog entry) :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. yikes Bri, you were near QC circle rin? kami naman we're in Mindanao Ave, pero pareho tayo, we remained cheerful thinking of funny ways & means kung pano makakakuha ng place to stay haha! ugaling pinoy talaga ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'd still say eeeew at the wee bag thing...but, desperate times, desperate measures.
    grabe yung typhoon. it caught everyone unaware na ganto pala kalakas and ganto ka grabe yung damage.
    glad that everyone is safe...korek ka diyan!!!!
    hope this does not happen again....scary

    ReplyDelete