Sunday, April 18, 2010

The good old OMTI days..

While snooping around online, I came across the Multiply site of the recently-graduated OMTI 2009-2010. Seeing the OMTI logo (with it's new modern look) and all those postings about seminars, their grad ball, batch shirt, etc, takes me way back to what I would call the "happiest year of my life".. :D

I can't help but feel pretty nostalgic about that year (besides the fact that it was the year I met my sweet inspiration, but that's totally beside the point). I consider it a coming-out of sorts for me. It was the first time I ever had the guts to run for a position (which I was able to win, and I think I did a pretty good job as well :P). It was kinda like a farewell to the shy and scared kid which used to be me. That year opened my eyes to a world of whole new possibilities. As a student organization, OMTI didn't really do much annually, especially given the situation of orgs in UST, but I believe we were able to make the most of what we had/were allowed to do and create a very memorable year for us all.  

It was really exciting from the very beginning. I believe it was the first time in so many years that two full parties were actually going head-to-head for leadership of the organization. Competition was stiff, and most positions were decided with the slimmest of margins (including mine). In the end, our party pulled through, and with the addition of Steph from the other party as our Secretary, we were all set to make waves.. :D

I remember it like it was yesterday, when I was typing our names for the letterhead we were going to have made:

UST Organization of Medical Technology Interns 2002-2003
Officers

Ruby S. Garcia - President
Juan Paolo M. Bautista - External Vice President
Lily Lyralin DL. Laconico - Internal Vice President
Stephanie U. Sy - Secretary
Brian Nelson M. Ong - Asst. Secretary
Ritchelle G. Sagun - Treasurer
Jhonas D. Galanida - Asst. Treasurer
Rekjavik S. Ramirez - Public Relations Officer
Clarito G. Demaala III - Auditor

As far as I ca recall, almost all of us were neophytes to student government, but we didn't care! We were there to make noise which resonated far and wide even after we had left college. Just ask our adviser Mam Villar :D

Our jobs seemed pretty mundane. Basically we were to keep the batch together and facilitate the weekly "seminars" we have during Tuesdays at UST. This usually means preparing for the symposium of the month, running paperworks and having them signed by the proper people. Reserving and setting up the venues, contacting resource speakers, etc.. But there were other stuff too.. We had the batch shirt (which turned out really great! Kudos to RJ for making it happen!), our participation in the Faculty of Pharmacy week (including the sportsfest), our weird-ass float made with gelatin for the MedTech week parade, setting up the phlebotomy workshop for the juniors, the shooting of the grad ball video, and our coup de grace, the gradball itself! :D Sigh.. those were good times.. :D

That was really one year that I could say  was extremely proud of. I  was clicking on all cylinders, balancing hospital work with the additional demands of the organization. I learned how to socialize more, and as a result encountered and befriended an whole ton of new and interesting people who comprised our batch. :D

I guess that's all for now.. It's getting kinda late already.. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment