Saturday, July 17, 2010

My Best Friend's Wedding


Regan and Shiela (7-3-2010)

Yeah, I know its a cheesy,title, but one that says it all. :P

It has been more than three weeks since Reg and Shiela were wed, and I know this entry is waaaay overdue. I guess I'll try to make up for it by writing a worthwhile entry then.

After viewing their on-site video here to jog my memory, I'm now prepared to sit my ass down and churn out a story worthy of the occasion.

Reg told me the good news as early as October last year (I think), and made mention that I had to make a small speech, which I learned was supposed to be a wedding toast. (see related post). Not bad for something made only 3 days before despite already being informed for about half a year. :P

Although I was no stranger to participation in weddings, having been ring-bearer a couple of times and had stints as a veil and cord sponsor, this was the first time I was to become a Best Man. I have to admit that  I had absolutely no idea with what the best man does, as the duties may vary from wedding to wedding depending on the preference of the couple. I guess I did ok though, as the event went with barely a hitch. :D

An added treat to this momentous occasion was that Reg actually made allowances for me and the bro to bring our respective dates! :D

The day started off quite well, with me zooming off to fetch my from girlfriend her home to have her hair and makeup done with mom at the nearby salon. We were a little pressed for time since the wedding would be starting at around 1pm. While waiting for the girls, we ordered delivery to save time. Brother arrived with his own date after a short while. They made it back at the nick of time, barely ate anything, and we were off!

Although the weather seemed to be cooperating despite the rainy season, the heat proved to be a little too much as we were unfortunately crammed into a vehicle with a malfunctioning aircon.. :( Good thing the traffic along EDSA wasn't really that bad at the time, otherwise I think we'd have melted even before we got to the church. Once at the venue, bro and the girls settled down while me and the folks (they were there as godparents) found our places in line... Well, not really. As is typical of weddings, people were milling about every which way. It was a treat to see some of the "brothers" there, all dressed up to see our childhood friend tie the knot. :P

When we were finally lined up, I was told that I was the first in the procession! This kinda took my by surprise as I didn't know the best man walked first. :P Hmm.. I guess that's why he's considered the "best" right? Hahaha I'm funny.. :P

I remember hearing from somewhere that one of the jobs of the Best Man is to help the groom not lose his nerve before the wedding, or something like that. Throughout the entire procession, I was trying my best to ease the tension by chatting Reg up, and for some weird reason, we wound up talking about American Football, out of all things. :P Though It may seem a little weird for anyone who would overhear, for us it was probably just one of those typical nonsensical conversations we've been having since childhood.

Brothers 
(screencap courtesy of their onsite video by Wang Videography)

At some point we got a little sentimental as I reflected on what was going on and how fast life seemed to have gone by. I believe I said something like "Bro, I can't believe that it was just a few years ago we were just kids, and now here we are with you getting hitched. Thanks for the honor of being your best man." to which he replied "Don't sweat it man, besides, wasn't this our agreement all along?" (We had a deal that we would be each other's best man at our respective weddings) Pardon me for being cheesy, but I was really touched by the remark. . Here was my best bud, my "other brother", the one guy outside my own family I would trust with my own life without any hesitation, honoring a promise made probably more than a dozen years ago. I'll be sure to hold up my end of the bargain when my turn comes. :P

Then it was Shiela's turn to walk down the aisle. She looked so radiant in her wedding gown, and I have never seen Reg so happy in my entire life, and I then knew that all was well. :) At one point I think Reg was at the verge of tears himself, as his bride was already shedding tears of joy the moment she stepped through the church doors. I told him to suck it up, or risk looking silly on his wedding day, immortalized forever in pictures and video. That seemed to have worked, as his face seemed to have remained high and dry all throughout. :P

I have to admit that I didn't really pay much attention to the wedding rites, as I was too busy taking it all in. For all the weddings I've been to, this one struck closest to home. If becoming a first-time ninong for Ced's kid was a wake-up call, this one was like a nuclear explosion. We really weren't kids anymore. This was an entirely different stage of life we found ourselves in. The game had finally changed, as we were slowing slipping into the roles which our parents had once assumed long before. Priorities had indeed changed. Goals and aspirations were being adjusted for the long tern. We used to think we could be young forever, but now here we were, embracing change and rising up to the new challenges that life throws our way.

It was like only yesterday when we were obsessing over computer games, wrestling, collectible cards, cartoons, the NBA, anime, and what-have-you. Man, how things have changed,, Now we're preoccupied with earning a living, taking care of kids, making a profit, upholding the constitution, saving lives, etc..

Anyways, after the church ceremonies, we headed back home for a bit of rest before proceeding to the reception. Before the reception proper, there were cocktails which gave me the chance to hang out with the boys. I thought it was great that mom and dad were there since they knew most of them as well, having seen us grow up together.

They had a photobooth at the event, which made the idle time go buy pretty quickly, In my opinion, the photobooth is the greatest wedding innovation since the wedding cake :P since it allowed guests to have more meaningful and personalized souvenirs of the event, a far cry from the classic figurines that used to be given out. More often than not, the figurines wound up taking up space and gathering dust, eventually being thrown out since they were next to useless after a few months anyway.

When the doors opened, everyone shuffled in while the entourage was asked to stay outside for the entrance. Anyway, I found that I was paired up with the matron of honor (Shiela's BFF) who happened to be a Derma pre-res when I was still a clerk , who eventually became the chief resident, and she was ICAn to boot! :P Now at least I have a Derma referral. ;) (Congrats on passing your diplomate exams Dra. Pam!).

To cut a long story short, our table was a riot, save for a certain someone I won't mention, as he was no fun at all. :P In the middle of the proceedings, we snuck out to have another session with the photobooth. Hehehe. Eventually, my turn at the microphonre came for my "Best Man's toast", and my parents say I did quite well. :P Time really does fly when you're having fun, especially when you're commemorating a very happy event in the company of old friends. ;)

Now my "brother" had gone off and married, and I in turn have gained a new "sister" :D Congratulations and best wishes!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment