Thursday, July 29, 2010

BrainiaxMD's Fried Fish

You can't get any more generic than the title. :P



Fried Fish!

I'm forced to admit that this was the first time ever that I've tried doing fish for dinner. That being said, I wasn't really confident in handling the fish, although it pretty much came from the freezer. Up to now, I'm still unsure what type of fish it was (and mom isn't really sure either :P).

To get rid of the "fishy taste" (or lansa in tagalog), I put 4 slices of ginger into the fish. One each underneath the gill covers found on either side of the head. For the other two slices, I had to make incisions at about the midway point of the fish. This proved trickier than I thought, because even though the scales have already been removed, the skin was still tough and unyielding and thus exposed my inexperience. After some effort, I was finally able to put the slices in. Afterwards, I rubbed salt and pepper onto the fish and put it away for the meanwhile whilst I cooked another dish (Bicol express, if you must know :P).

Even though it was my first time dealing with fish, it wasn't my first time frying. I unceremoniously dumped the fish in the hot oil and let it fry, flipping it over after around 5-8 minutes. It was during this time that the folks came home and mom decided to make a sauce to accompany the fish, consisting of soy sauce, flour, rice wine, ground black pepper, garlic powder, and a bit of sugar.She heated this in a saucepan til boiling then put it on the fish. She also added a bit of Taiwan Pechay for garnishing, with the end result seen above. :D

Not too shabby, I have to say, but still not my favorite type of ingredient to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment