Saturday, September 24, 2011

Yet another RP team frustration..

I have to admit that I was a bit ecstatic over the news I saw the other day.

The Philippine Team made it to the Semifinal round of the FIBA Asia Championships!!!

To my dear readers who do not follow Philippine basketball, this particular tournament would serve as a passport to an outright berth in the 12-team field which will be competing at the 2012 London Olympics. As a consolation, the silver and bronze medal winners would have another crack at an Olympic slot as they will compete in an Olympic qualifying tournament pitting them against the runners-up from the different continents, with the top three from THAT tourney going on to fill the final 3 slots in the Olympics. For a graphical representation of what I'm talking about, click here.

Imagine my dismay when all my hopes were dashed when the team was totally overpowered by an upstart Jordanian team (which beat perennial powerhouse Iran in the quarterfinals). It was painful because the RP team was more favored to win, having previously vanquished the Jordanians during group play earlier in the tournament.

Despite the loss, the Philippine team still has a chance to advance to the International qualifiers, provided it beats the loser of the KOR/CHN semifinal game to get the bronze medal.

Dammit. First the Azkals lost to Kuwait, and now Smart Gilas loses to Jordan.. I'm starting to get a bit annoyed at these Arabs.. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment