Sunday, July 3, 2005

Its the weekend! Oh joy!.. =P

Whew! An end to a LOOONG week! I never thought I'd make it through! =P There was like half a dozen quizzes, case discussions left and right, and a handful of presentations stuck in between!! Argh! Toxic!! Add that to another extracurricular source of stress that's been bothering me lately.. but i won't go into details anymore..

I was supposed to go home early today coz of the lighter sked, but instead I hung around to photocopy some materials that I'll be needing for the next week. It was time well spent. I got to bond with some of my classmates who were also there at Asturias hanging out while waiting for their respective xeroxed stuff.

After getting my stuff, I boarded an empty jeep and sped off. Ang mahal na talaga ng fare sa jeep ngayon!! The jeep stopped after a while and there was this really old lady who boarded. Out of the blue, she began to talk to me! She first pointed out to me a kid on the street and said that he was her grandchild, well, actually her nephew's son (she was an old maid daw, and according to her, she wasn't ashamed of saying that to people either! ). I humored her kasi matanda na din nga naman siya, and she's probably looking for someone to talk to, as are most old people. So I just listened with feigned interest as she went on and on about her nephew's kids whom she was supporting. She talked about her family and also said that she was 89 YEARS OLD!! Whoa pare!!! Anyway, things got interesting when she took note of my uniform and asked if I was a medical student. :D Siyempre I said yes diba? So she went on to ask me about her painful"bones" (joints actually) which was strongly indicative of arthritis. I worked my questioning along that line but was unsucessful for the most part because the jeep's stereos were turned up so loud that she couldn't hear me!! :( But I got some measure of satisfaction when I told her my impression and she said that was what the doctors in UST told her. :D Yahoo!!! :)

So now I sit here feeling pretty good about myself not because i was able make the right diagnosis (that's chicken feed, any idiot would know arthritis!), but because I was able to build a good rapport with the patient. I know what I did was nothing much, but we need these little victories in life that boost our morale to keep us going. :)

Its not what you know, its what you BOTHERED to know..

No comments:

Post a Comment