Monday, August 16, 2010

On the Retreat

Just came home this afternoon from a retreat held in Tagaytay for the XS Alumni. This was probably one of the best decisions I ever made, and will hopefully have a long-term impact on my life..

It was a Silent Retreat, which was in the Ignatian contemplative tradition. I went there not really knowing what to expect besides some quiet time to pray and reflect, with occasional lectures and masses on the side. Little did I know that after going there, my life would probably never be the same (I hope!)

*the entries below were written at the retreat house after I had finished with my daily reflections

Day 1: August 13, 2010  9:30 PM

Well, here I am..

I'm presently at St. Scholastica's Center for Spirituality here in Tagaytay on a 3-day Ignatian Silent Retreat put together by Fr. Zuloaga for the alumni.

My room

According to dad, there was this teaching in Xavier (which I hardly recall ever learning) that "God is in the silence". Hopefully this retreat will allow me to reconnect with God on a more deeper level.

Day 2: August 14, 2010  9:30 PM

Day 2 is finally over.

Chapel exterior

After a series of talks by Fr. Manoling Francisco, SJ interspersed between 3 full meals and 2 snacktime breaks, the main day of my silent retreat is over. Apart from the talks/sessions, we had time set aside for confessions/consultations with the priests, as well as the celebration of the Holy Eucharist and time for adoration.

side view of the chapel

I won't get all "churchy" here in my blog, but I have to say that I have learned a lot about my faith over this weekend, which far exceeded whatever expectations I may initially have had. Sad to say, but the Christian Life Education we receive as a grade school or high school student is woefully inadequate, as most colleges don't really teach in-depth theology (save for a select few, or if your course IS Theology). Having time to reflect on scripture and how it affects our daily lives has been such an eye-opener for me, as I previously couldn't comprehend what people get out of all these "bible study" groups. Heck, I didn't even understand what people got out of daily Scripture reading on their own.

Solitude

I would highly recommend going on retreats like this as it serves not only to "deepen your faith" or some other similar abstract concept we can hardly wrap our minds around, but I guess it helps fill this a certain emptiness inside of you especially if you seem to have lost your way..

St. Benedict reading in the garden

The same way that learning feeds the mind and eating feeds the body, reading scripture feeds the soul. I'm really grateful for the wonderful opportunity to experience this unique way of looking at our faith, and I will definitely go on another retreat when the opportunity would next present itself. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment