Saturday, November 19, 2011

Bad gloves? Bad trip


I just want to gripe..

A few months back, when I began going to the gym in earnest, I bought myself a new pair of workout gloves since the older pair I had been using was already worse for wear.

I checked the sporting goods stores. The more prominent LP brand cost about 600+Php which was definitely over my budget, what more those bigger brand names like Nike.


I was able to spy a lesser-known brand called Outdoor Avenue which was selling for around 350Php. Good enough I thought, and the price was reasonable enough. It was better than nothing, and I also thought that its just a pair of gloves with velcro. What could go wrong?

 I was a little apprehensive when I saw the velcro strip. I mean, look at that thing! It wasn't as rough as the usual velcro we usually see. It stuck well, and i tried different wrist movements to see if it would give, but didn't. So I bought it, failing to take into account what sweat could do the the velcro.

The gloves sucked from workout day one. After working up a sweat (or even before sweating), the glove flaps would prove difficult to keep together. Every once in a while, I would have to refasten the the flaps so that the gloves would not flop around as I went around the gym.

Luckily, the gloves were still usable for lifting weights even in that sorry state, but sometimes you just can't help but be bothered by the fact that you're using a faulty piece of equipment designed supposedly to keep you safe and comfortable during a workout. There's also the nagging thouht that everyone at the gym is probably secretly calling you "floppy gloves man" who needs to adjust his gloves every so often like a crazed madman. :P

I still use these gloves to this day due to monetary constraints, and the fact that apart from the faulty "sticking" of the velcro, the gloves are still in workable condition. Guess I'll just have to wait until these gloves fall apart on me and I have enough extra cash to replace them.

4 comments:

  1. hey, u could try strapping baller IDs to keep the flaps in place. beats having to sew garter in between them and rubber bands aren't fashionable =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of replacing the velcro strap itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that would be great if you can find the heavy duty ones.
    much better if it's D shaped for greater surface coverage.

    on second thought, maybe your grip is too tight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay lang, di ka naman si manny pacquiao harhar

    ReplyDelete