Saturday, November 19, 2011

Bespectacled


Last week, I finally decided to have my eyes checked out (well, it was the second time really, but I feel that the first consult doesn't count. More on that later)

I had actually been suffering from blurred vision in my left eye for some time now, but I guess it was only lately that it became pronounced enough to will me to finally do something about it. Come to think of it, my eyes have been getting easily fatigued lately, resulting in less productive nocturnal study sessions.

Since my first ophtha consult didn't go very well, I texted one of my former CSMC interns (who is now a 1st year Ophtha resident. Hi Maui!) for a good recommendation.

After being pointed in the right direction, I set off to go back to the hospital I had at one time considered home. I had a bit of time to kill, so I met up with some former IM batchmates and a few of my former clerks (who are now interns) to catch up on the latest news. Oh yeah congratulations to the CSMC IM team who won at the recently concluded PCP quiz! I'm proud of you guys, especially since I heard you really kicked the ass of a particular team. ;)

Going back to the initial story.. I waited patiently at the clinic of DR. FRANCISCO GOMEZ (Thanks doc!), luckily I had arrived early and only had a couple of patients ahead of me.

After an exhaustive ophthalmologic examination, the good doctor told me that I really had hyperopia of the L eye and it was no wonder that previous examiners told me that my L eye was "lazy". I had once thought of wearing an eyepatch over it (as I had seen in Peanuts comics), but common sense got in the way. :P

Needless to say, the doc wrote me off a prescription for corrective lenses, and seeing how much my vision had improved as he was trying lenses on me, I was pretty excited to get myself a pair.

Normally, a person would be hassled by the need to wear glasses, but I guess my flawed eyesight was enough motivation to supersede any desire to be glasses-free.

I browsed through the frames available at his clinic and saw one I fancied. It was a "rimless" frame, and it cost 2000 Php! Bear in mind that this price was not yet inclusive of the lens itself, which ranged from 500Php for plain uncoated lenses, to about 4-5k for those fancy-ass "Transitions" lenses which darkened when exposed to bright light.

The secretary suggested that I go out and buy a frame of my own choosing then just come back to have the lenses done, which I did. I first looked around the malls to see what the optical shops had to offer. It was really annoying when all these optical shop personnel gang up on you and offer you their most expensive frames, only to apparently show a hint of disgust when you ask to see their "affordable" frames. (Ano ba naman ang gagawin ko sa 25K na eyeglass frame diba??)

With malls out of the picture, my dad suggested I accompany him downtown to check out those wholesalers to get a frame with a good price. He initially wanted me to get a frame similar to his, which cost only 100 Php! He had this great (and surprisingly feasible) idea of buying multiple identical frames so that all I have to do is move the lens when the old frame broke down.

It seemed like a good plan, until we got to the sellers. The really cheap frames were too small and thus hurt the sides of my face when I wore them. (I think those were for children). After an exhaustive search, we came upon this store which sold the one I have now. It was lightweight, and of the right fit! And it only cost 1K (A nearby optical store was selling a similar frame for 1.5K). Thus the deal was done. I hurried home and dropped off the frame at the doctor's office. The secretary told me to come back the following day (today) for pickup. I was actually quite surprised that it would be done that quickly. Nevertheless, here I am now, newly bespectacled and seeing much better than before (and without looking like a total nerd either) :D

3 comments: