Saturday, May 23, 2009

El Matadero


I have a newfound respect for butchers and people in the slaughterhouse business. Let me explain..

Mom instructed me to prepare dinner tonight, which I immediately agreed to, since I could officially cook to save my life. :P However, an unforeseen circumstance made me regret my decision.. I was told to prepare 2 dishes using the meat she had removed from the freezer in the morning before she left for work.. When I looked it over, it was this big slab of pork, kinda like what we use to make crispy pata, but without the bone (anlabo no? :P). Anyway, I thought little of it, since I had experience cutting up meat before. Little did I know that cutting through pork SKIN was an entirely different deal..Man, that epithelium is TOUGH!! It also didn't help that the knife I was using was apparently not as sharp as I needed it to be. So there I was, sweating buckets while wrestling with an unyielding slab of meat which stubbornly resists my futile attempts at severing the skin. This went on for about an hour.. a full HOUR for just a 1/2 kilo slab of meat!!

Eventually, I was able to cut through, using whatever means necessary, and wound up preparing the 2 dishes I had initially planned. Good thing my bro came home a little later, so we had time to finish up before everyone sat down for dinner.

Sorry I don't have any food pics today, as I was totally drained when mom got home and took over the last part of the 2nd dish. I made 1) Calderetang Baboy, and 2) Minced pork with Kalabasa't Sitaw. Ang Sarap!! :D

It was a grueling job, but at least it was worth it in the end. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment