Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Phone problem :(

Uh-oh...

Dammit! I dropped my cellphone last week and it developed this big ugly crack running through the LCD screen.. sigh.. I had the feeling there was something wrong about the way it fell. It's still functional, as I can still read and text with it, but it's only just a matter of time before the liquid crystal seeps out to cover an even greater part of the screen.

I was never really much of a fancy-ass phone person, and I tend to settle for the simpler models relative to what is available on the market at the time.. This is only my 3rd cellphone in about 11 years. The first was a Nokia 5110. It had this really fat battery which made it such a drag to carry around. A friend kindly gave me his spare casing so my phone wasn't so dreary looking with the original black casing that came with it. I was eventually able to get my hands on a slimmer battery (a spare one from a cousin who had bought a different model and was retiring his old phone).

After about 4 years of usage, it was time to move on, and I took the money I had saved through the years and bought a 6610 just before medical school began. It wasn't really fancy, as camera phones had already began cropping up the year before (7650, 3650, etc), but it had COLOR! It could also play MIDI polytones and had a built-in FM radio! hahahaha It was also a bit easier to carry around since the design no longer had this big ugly antenna sticking out, and the wonders of micronization had provided for a smaller internal battery.

This phone would tide me over until the middle of my medical internship, where I was blessed with the good fortune of being given a new phone thanks to the terms and conditions of dad's postpaid line, which allows the subscriber to acquire a new phone from the teleco when he came to renew the 2-year service contract. As it was just a low-budget line, the "free phone" options were limited.I settled for a Nokia 2630, which was really a barebones model compared to all the bells and whistles available on the higher-end phones. Despite its seemingly simple appearance, I liked what it had to offer: Bluetooth connectivity, ability to play Truetones, a VGA camera (which was used very heavily during internship), FM radio, and it was the slimmest phone I ever had! (which made it really handy to keep in your pocket during ORs, ward rounds, etc..)

Now, for the first time, I'll be forced to say goodbye to my phone due to irreparable damage (as I think the cost of having it repaired would far outstrip its current market price). The other two weren't really in bad shape when I had turned them over. Admittedly, they were already developing some quirks, but it wasn't anything I couldn't live with (although I would've probably had a tougher time using them).

Hay.. sayang.. :( I like this phone a lot pa naman.. It's simple, straightforward, and easy to use. I don't believe in shelling out big bucks for just a cellphone, the basic functions of which is to just text and call, but I don't have any intention of just buying one of those really old-school type monochrome phones with basic ringtones and no other features either.. :P

1 comment:

  1. same sentiments syoti.. i dropped my cel too just recently (3days ago ciguro)... i don't know what the problem was...ala na signal..so temporarily unavailable ang smart # ko, huhu..ayoko magpalit ng phone=( sana magawa pa cia

    ReplyDelete