Friday, May 22, 2009

Of stars and mushrooms

I've been doing some thinking about the popularity of the Super Mario games, and it all started with having the Mario 3 (?) soundtrack running in my head.

*Note: I didn't bother to do any extensive research on the topic, so don't blast me if I may seem wrong. :P


In my opinion, Mario became popular because:
1) It was devilishly easy to play
2) The game world really absorbs you, with all the cutesy graphics and the pleasant soundtrack, you'd forget about Mario's life and death struggle to get to the princess
3) In relation to #2, you play the game despite that because it seems so.. peaceful... :D
Nintendo was really able to find a perfect balance of game elements which made the Mario franchise (and their company as well) a huge success. It's no wonder that with every new console that they come out with, Mario will always be there with some new game to lead the charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment