Tuesday, June 9, 2009

BrainiaxMD's Bicol Express!


Tried working with gata (coconut milk) this time around, and I'd have to say that the experiment was a success!!... although I think I put too much pepper... :P

It all started when I tasted this really excellent kalabasa't sitaw sa gata (Pumpkin and String beans in coconut milk stew) prepared by a cousin's cook. I asked mom if we could get hold of some coconut milk for use at home. At the supermarket, I learned that it comes in powdered form in sachets, kinda like the kaldereta and menudo mixes we regularly use (mom dosen't really have that much time to cook lately, so instant mixes are a great lifesaver). I bought mu ingredients and today I prepared the ever popular Bicol Express.

What I used:

1 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 kg pork (menudo cut)
1 whole onion, diced
1 whole garlic, diced
6 pcs hot green peppers, chopped
1 40g sachet Del Monte Quick-and-Easy Gata Mix (naks!)

1 cup water
salt to taste

Basically, I sauteed  the onions and garlic together, followed by the pork. I left it for around 5 minutes while I dissolved the gata mix into the water, which I then poured on to the pork, along with the pepper. A dash of salt was added for more flavor, and I let the whole thing simmer for around 10-12 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken. Feeds a hungry family of 4. Voila! :D

1 comment: